Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Day 19 - Forty Paintings in Forty Days

Feeling rushed again. I relish the first day that I can work on a plein air painting at my leisure and for multiple days. That will be such a pleasure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm learning to see and make decisions quickly, trying my best to be accurate. In today's painting the values of the left side of the barn and the hanging tree boughs were almost the same. They disappeared into each other, causing me to go back and blend in some darker values. Back in the studio I thought about making them even darker. My instincts said yes but my quest for veracity told me to leave it alone (that voice again). I think as I continue on this experience I'll be able to better judge what should or shouldn't be tweaked.

One thing I'm discovering - rules are great for general guidance but there are times when they can be gladly tossed. I'm also simplifying and going for the big shapes as my brushwork loosens.

Dutrow's Barn, 10"x8", oil on panel
Tony Dutrow has three short barns in Campfire Court. The one above is mostly in deep shade with bits of dapple light squeezing through. I arrived late after morning feed time so there were no horse heads to paint.

Made in the shade,
Sharon

No comments: